Monday, April 30, 2012

Short Ribs

Hello everyone - No change in the Ikester - Except that I think he is feeling much better as he is much more active and has rediscovered his hatred for squirrels...Golly - even with only 3 good legs I think he would chase them until he caught 'em.

This weekend the weather was just not very conducive to outside work - We seem to have had our late April weather in early March here so we decided to hunker down and restock our supply of chili and red sauce.  I already have provided the recipe for both of them so I will focus on the Sunday project of Braised Short Ribs.  First a little background...
Sandy and I had gone to a local Italian chain establishment known for the salad and bread sticks and while there I saw on the menu braised short ribs with Risotto.  They sounded very good and were so I asked our waiter if they had the recipe for them.  He said they sometimes post the recipes on their main website and we would have to look to see it this was one of the posted ones.  Well it was so here goes.

3 lbs boneless beef short ribs
2 cups Chianti Wine
1 Medium Onion chopped
4 cloves Garlic minced
1 28-30 oz can of crushed tomatoes *
3 cups beef stock
1 teaspoon chopped Rosemary
3/4 cup slice Porcini or other mushrooms**
1/4 cup Olive Oil
salt and pepper to taste

* I personally would not add crushed tomatoes - I would add one additional cup of beef stock and 1/2 cup additional wine and then at the very end add about 6-8 cherry tomatoes
** Mushrooms were not in the original recipe, but I thought the matched up very nicely with the earthy and hearty short ribs - omit if you would like.

First salt and pepper the short ribs.  Heat large skillet (with lid) and add olive oil.  Place short ribs in hot oil and be careful not to crowd - do them in batches if your skillet isn't big enough.  Brown all ribs on all sides and remove to bowl or plate until later.
short ribs
Add onions to oil and saute for a couple minutes, then add garlic - careful not to let it burn, then add wine, and beef stock separately allowing for some of the liquid to cook down before adding the next (wait about 5 minutes between additions of liquids) this de-glazed the pan nicely and really gets the sauce started out right.  Add the chopped rosemary and mushrooms.  (Now if you were to add the tomatoes, they would go in with the rest of the liquids, it is up to you - as that is what the recipe calls for but my sauce was not as smooth and was a little too "tomatoey" for me).
Place the short ribs (as well as all the juice that collected in the bowl back into the skillet and turn to low and cover for 3 hours.  I know, I know I didn't say this was fast food but trust me you will be rewarded.
After 3 hours of braising, remove the ribs to a serving vessel and cover, bringing the remaining liquid to a boil uncovered and reduce about 1/3 (about 10-15 minutes).  (if I used cherry tomatoes instead of crushed - I would add them here)
Serve with Risotto, Polenta or even mashed potatoes and a few freshly steam green beans or asparagus....  You will NOT be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment