Sunday, December 21, 2014

Apple pie of my eye and then some

Hello and Merry Christmas everyone;
Just wanted to get on and share a few items about both of my favorite things - Cooking and Ike..   First cooking..  As per the title, for my family Christmas dinner I offered to make a fruit pie for desert- can't make a pecan pie due to some nut allergies in the house and decided it would be an apple.  The problem I always seem to have with apple pies is when I make the filling from scratch, they never seem to be firm - always runny and a soggy bottom crust.  I was NOT about to let that happen..  So to Google I went.   Looked for some apple pie recipes, and do you know there are about 500 pie recipes entitled "THE BEST APPLE PIE RECIPE"????  Now, we all know the internet is 100% truthful and no one ever exaggerates on the internet so I was confused.  (OK tongue is so firmly in my cheek it is good I am typing and not talking here, LOL:) ) But I did find one that sounded good and said it would not be runny.... So here is the link...
Couple of key points:
  1. Cooking and cooling the apples first, before you put them in the pie shell.
  2. Using an egg white wash on the bottom crust before you put the apples in
  3. Use of a cornstarch, and tapioca slurry while cooking the apples.
Those 3 steps made this pie come out perfect.  No runs, No drips, No errors.  (sorry Johnny Bench and Krylon paint I repurposed your line from a commercial about 25 years ago)
Take a look at the pie - trust me while no pics after cutting it was picture perfect inside.  Oh and while good, it was time consuming.. you aren't going to make this pie an hour before the dinner....




Now for the other "apple" of my eye, Ike.  We went hunting again over at Hickory Grove last Sunday and Ike did very well.  No issues with his leg and there was definitely nothing wrong with his nose..  My shooting on the other hand left a little to be desired.  I guess I was a little over confident, and trying to let the birds get further out as to not damage them so much but I wasn't really hitting them hard.  We did fine as we placed 3 and got three but missed a scratch bird that he really worked hard for and I felt bad....  I have some good video of him working I will edit and post later but he pointed well, found the runner and delivered them to hand (well not quite to hand but pretty close :) ).  Anyway he did well take a look...

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good hunt... "Ike, find that bird!"

No comments:

Post a Comment