Sunday, August 1, 2010

Smokin'


For my first post I thought nothing is more representative of summer than cooking some ribs on the BBQ. Well, smokin' them is more like it. Earlier this year I broke down and got a Weber Smoker (ranked #1 by America's Test Kitchen by the way) and have done Country Style Ribs, Baby Backs, Brisket, and Pheasant Breasts wrapped in bacon -(that's a later post, thanks Ike). So today I thought nothing would be more appropriate for my first post and represent summer more than smoking some ribs.
I really like this Weber as it is easy to keep the temp in that smoking zone of 200-250 degrees and it has 2 racks as well as a water bowl to infuse more flavor. For these baby backs I used Lump Charcoal and soaked a couple handfuls of Pecan chips. I really like the flavor of the pecan - not as sharp as Mesquite.

I also want to give credit where credit is due - I use a Kansas City Rib Rub - Sweet with a little hint of heat see the link to A GREAT site for all kinds of rubs http://bbq.about.com/od/rubrecipes/Rub_Recipes_Recipes_for_all_kinds_of_rubs_for_all_kinds_of_meats.htm


Here are couple of pics of the middle and end of the process . I smoked them for 3 hours (nice smoke ring and crusty bark on them by then). I then slathered them with our favorite BBQ sauce and put them in a 200 degree oven for 2-3 more hours wrapped tightly in foil. They become fall off the bone tender and carmelize that sweet bbq sauce.... Mmmmm (Props to America's Test Kitchen for this hint)

Now that is a classic summer meal. Hope you like my first post. (Ike gives it 4 paws :)

4 comments:

  1. Now that smells good send me a bite

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is going to be so unfair....I can almost smell those ribs cooking and we do not get to taste! I think you should invite all faithful readers of your blog once a month for taste testing!!!! This is going to be a fun blog to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Nancy. A once a month taste testing works for me. Can't wait for the recipe's as I know they will be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When is the party so we can all come over and sample your work?

    ReplyDelete