Sunday, September 26, 2010

"Are you ready for some FOOTBALL?"

Hi everyone;


Well, it sounds like (and feels like) Fall is officially upon us (for you weatherphiles, it did arrive about 10 PM Thursday night -but it was 90* here on Thursday). When the weather turns cooler my thoughts turn to, harvest, weaning calves, hunting and FOOTBALL (not necessarily in that order). So this week was I got involved in 3 of the 4. Took Tuesday off and went down to the family farm and helped my brother Gary wean calves and set up the corral for processing the next day. One thing I want to mention - I have never seen anyone work those cows like Gary, he reminds me of "The Pied Piper" we got all those cows in without any issues or problems. I just had to stay out of the way and do what he told me!!


While we were doing that My other brother Stan and his father-in-law were harvesting corn like crazy - boy what a difference a year makes!! Here is a link to my niece's blog that does a nice job giving a perspective of life in rural IL:






Enough about that - now let's get to the football... College football is in full
swing and the NFL is in week three and while we'll have a tailgate edition of this blog soon, we will today touch on one of my favorite football snacks - Nachos!

Everyone has a favorite way to make or eat them, some with Chili, some just with taco meet, some with chicken and jalapenos...

I like mine, layered with Chips, meat then cheese (my favorite spicy shredded blend) then a few more chips, a shot more meat and another coating of cheese. Then the healthy part - the veggies - Tomatoes, green onions, banana peppers and cilantro.

Bake them for 8-12 mins at 375* and then to get them nice and crispy Crank it up - throw on the broiler for about 2-4 mins (better watch 'em tho - the smoke alarm is not a suitable replacement for a kitchen timer) or until they get brown and crispy. Then accompany them with your favorite salsa, more fresh chopped cilantro, some sour cream (spiked with the juice of 1/2 lime) and some home made guacamole....


It doesn't make any difference, to each their own - the only important thing is the cold beer you have to drink with them - I think it's the law!


Ike is in watching the Sunday night game on the couch (where he's NOT supposed to be) so I better get back in. Oh by the way - GO BEARS (Sorry Stan)



No comments:

Post a Comment