Sunday, July 17, 2011

Tried a new place

We were looking for a place for dinner and while I usually like to cook my own BBQ, we had seen a review from the local food critic about Austin BBQ in downtown Wheaton IL. While no one will ever confuse the Hill Country of TX with Wheaton IL, I have to admit the smell as I walked down the street brought back smells of Rudy's in San Antonio and other local hole in the wall shacks I have stumbled into in my travels. It ain't fancy - the sign on the door says, "Your mother doesn't work here so pick up after yourself!" kind of give you the hint of the style of the place. If you go for sides the below link will give you some idea but if you go for the meat and you like smokey style you won't be disappointed - but hey to each their own... Sauce on the side, not sweet but not too spicy (definitely not the KC style sauce I normally enjoy) but the trays the food was served on, the white bread and the pickles all reminded me of the TX memories I hold so fondly. The owner ran a pizzeria and then spent some time in TX and found out his real love was BBQ and as the article says,"His pizza career went up in smoke - literally." I for one am glad it did...

http://www.yelp.com/biz/austin-bbq-wheaton

Ike, was unable to attend (sorry buddy) but he said he will take my word on it and give it 3 paws (out of 4)...

No comments:

Post a Comment