Sunday, July 13, 2014

Polenta, Grits, Mush - what's in a name?

Hi everyone,
You know I never liked mush growing up, and grits never really appealed to me either, but as I have gotten a little more "adventurous" in what I will eat I have really started to like polenta.. I know, I know it's made of the same ingredients but somehow it seems to be better, when a braised short rib is resting on it and it is swimming in the juices...  YUM...  OK so I had this big Sirloin I wanted to cook and I didn't want risotto, or potatoes so I thought, let's try some polenta - but grill it..

So I got some coarse corn meal and followed the instructions  water, salt, cornmeal  but of course I wasn't satisfied with that so I added some Pecorino and Parm cheeses as well as some fresh thyme and rosemary and a little freshly cracked black pepper to the mix.   I then put in mini loaf pans and chilled it for 24 hours. 

I took it out and sliced it in about quarter inch thick slices and grilled it next to the Sirloin steak..

I took the Sirloin, and salted it and let it draw out some of the proteins uncovered in the fridge and then seared it very rare on the grill..   Sliced it like London broil and served it with the Grilled Polenta and some steamed broccoli....  Very tasty...   
Take a look :) 

Colorful, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment