Monday, September 22, 2014

Update on Ike & Other Things

Hi everyone;
As promised I wanted to give an update on Ike after his visit to the Vet today.  The Dr., while very pleased with his recovery, says at least 2-3 more weeks in a soft wrap and then as long as another month with nothing but controlled (read on a leash) exercise.  Soooo, that pretty much means the annual Pheasant Hunt in SD is off for us this fall.  Perhaps we can go later in the season but after talking to the Vet, he says that given his youth, and desire to hunt for many more years, he would recommend short term discretion for more long term opportunities.  That is what my friend Wayne says too, better to take off a while and give him the proper chance to recover rather than rush it and regret any reoccurrence.  So I thought I would share a couple pictures of the little guy with his new soft wrap.  The Vet Tech thought he would enjoy a little decoration on his wrap..  Check it out, a squirrel, Oak leaf and acorn.. Little did she know how much he hates squirrels (or then again maybe she did ?????)  I'll let everyone know what the next visit brings.

Cute, huh?





Spoiled??? Who me???











Since Ike may not be hunting this fall in his honor I took some pheasant out of the freezer and made a few pot pies...  2 large ones and 3 small ones (those are for me).  I had some extra so I made a little one in my small cast iron skillet with a Bisquick topping..  See link for the recipe - made a few alterations - added mushrooms, and celery and used cream of celery soup for the base..  For the topping I mixed up the typical recipe but added some shredded cheese, some canned French fried onion rings, and Old Bay seasoning to the batter... It was pretty tasty
http://www.food.com/recipe/easy-bisquick-chicken-pot-pie-100215

Pheasant Pot Pie


Also did a quick little chicken finger recipe...  Flour, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper and a little paprika, egg wash, and cornflakes with some canned fired onion rings crushed for the crust....  Fried them in Veg oil for about 3 minutes a side then finished them in the oven.. Made a little home made Honey mustard for dipping..  Really tasty and crunchy..

Chicken Fingers


So again no "Ike, Find that bird" - at least for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment